How to Safely Celebrate the 4th of July
12 Ways To Enjoy a Healthy 4th of July
Happy 4th of July!
Most of the time this is a weekend of celebration, parades, parties and fireworks displays but this year is going to be different.
Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, many cities and states have decided to cancel their annual parades, festivals, and fireworks displays, along with closing picnic areas and park pavilions to discourage crowds from gathering.
This will change many holiday plans and large get-togethers but it doesn’t have to completely cancel your holiday. There are ways to keep yourself safe, have fun and celebrate our nation’s independence!
Here are our 12 Ways to Stay Safe and Healthy This 4th of July 2020
1. Continue to Social Distance
This year, celebrating Independence Day will be different due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Make sure to follow your community safety guidelines, wear a mask where necessary and keep a proper social distance when in groups of people.
2. Wear Sunscreen
Use sunscreen with SPF 30 or above with UVA and UVB protection to reduce your risk for skin cancer. Don’t forget your face, lips and scalp!
3. Eat Smart
It’s okay to indulge in some of your favorite foods on the holiday, but try to eat smart. This year, try to be mindful of your eating and drinking habits—p.s. This works for potlucks too!
- Swap out burgers for chicken
When choosing your protein, try having a grilled chicken or turkey sandwich, or a hamburger made with extra lean ground beef.
- Replace chips with fresh fruits and veggies
A common theme at most Fourth of July picnics is having some sort of arrangement of red and blue fruits (ex: watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc). Load up on these fruits as they provide filling fiber and antioxidants.
- Don’t forget your supplements! Don’t leave home without the extra nutritional support you need to stay healthy, hydrated and happy this holiday.
4. Drink Plenty of Water and Get Creative With It
- Instead of providing sugar-filled lemonade, alcoholic beverages and sodas to guests, make healthy variations such as home-made iced tea sweetened with agave nectar, or even sparkling cucumber water!
- You can also try adding fresh fruit in your water for more variety.
- Keep a hydroflask full of water at all times and with you during the day and evening. This can help you stay hydrated when you’re out.
5. Play Games and Be Active
Have fun this holiday by playing games to keep everyone active and entertained. Capture the flag, Frisbee games, scavenger hunts, volleyball, kickball and badminton are all great ways to keep the whole crew engaged!
6. Go Swimming!
Swimming is great exercise and so much fun! Head to the local watering hole—whether it’s a public pool, a lake, or a friend’s backyard pool—and aim to do a few laps of your favorite stroke. You can also paddle out to the deep end and tread water.
Always be aware of water safety:
- Be “water smart,” and make sure the people you go out with have swimming skills and know how to help others.
- Talk to your children, including older youth and teenagers, about water safety and be in agreement about the rules.
- Don’t wear face masks in the water! It may make it difficult to breathe.
- Make sure at least one person in your group is responsible as a “lifeguard or water watcher” if one is not officially provided.
- Drain your kiddie pools when you’re done supervising their use.
7. Don’t forget the Earplugs
For both people and pets! Loud noises can scare animals and small children, not to mention damage the ears.
8. Great Grills
- Clean your grill ahead of time and avoid any chance of food borne illness and get the best possible flavors from your grilled items.
- Always supervise a bbq grill when in use. Especially around young children and pets!
- Never grill indoors.
- Keep the grill away from the house or anything that could catch fire
9. Make Sure Your food stays safe (hot foods hot, cold food cold)
Be sure you cook all of your food to the recommended temperature to destroy any harmful bacteria and keep things that should be refrigerated in a cooler over ice. If this is not possible, consider taking such items off the menu so that no one gets sick.
10. Enjoy fruity desserts
Offer fruit salads and other desserts made without a lot of heavy rich foods. Fresh fruit will help hydrate you and keep your energy levels high.
11. Be careful with the fireworks
- Never give fireworks to small children, and never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, structures or flammable materials. Always follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Keep a supply of water close by as a precaution.
- Make sure the person lighting fireworks always wears eye protection.
- Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight “a dud.”
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from children and pets.
12. Simply stop by and have some healthy fun at Simply Nutrition
We are having a Simply Fun promotion. We are giving away a limited edition 40oz Hydroflask (valued at over $55 each). Stop by to enter to win!
We also have a great selection of drinks, gluten free snacks & chips, and all-natural mineral based sunscreens for your 4th of July Celebration!
The 4th of July is still a wonderful holiday for all of us and an exciting time in 2020. It will just be different and we will need to celebrate it in a new way in order to keep everyone safe and healthy.
ALSO All Hydro Flasks ON SALE
20% Off this WEEK!
FREE Bonus Bag item with Hydro Flask Purchase
We would love to get to know you better!
Drop a comment below and let us know more about you!