How Dietary Supplements Help Support Optimal Health and Wellness
6 Things You Need To Know
Many people think that if they are already eating well, drinking plenty of water and getting enough exercise that they have done enough to ensure good health, vitality and optimal wellbeing.
They are certainly on the right track but it is also important to consider dietary supplements because there are some things our bodies need that are not found anywhere else.
In fact, even people who eat well may be at risk for being deficient in a particular vitamin or mineral.
What are dietary supplements?
Dietary supplements include such ingredients as vitamins, minerals, herbs, amino acids, and enzymes. These products are marketed in forms such as tablets, capsules, softgels, gelcaps, powders, and liquids.
Why are they so popular?
If you’re looking to support your health, increase your energy levels, boost your mood and mental acuity, and even improve your chronic health condition symptoms, getting the right amount of vitamins and minerals each day is vital.
Supplements can especially benefit people who have a specific need for extra nutritional support such as; pregnant women, women who want to become pregnant, athletes and both men and women who are over the age of 50.
Dietary supplements also may be appropriate for people who:
- Don’t eat well or consume fewer calories than needed
- Are a vegan or a vegetarian who eats a limited variety of foods
- Follow any other type of diet that restricts an entire category of foods
- Don’t obtain two to three servings a week of seafood, which supplies omega-3 fatty acids for heart health
- Have limited milk intake due to lactose intolerance or milk allergy, or simply don’t consume enough dairy foods
- Have heavy bleeding during your menstrual period
- Have a medical condition that affects how your body absorbs or uses nutrients, such as chronic diarrhea, food allergies, food intolerance, or a disease of the liver, gallbladder, intestines or pancreas
- Have had surgery on your digestive tract and are not able to digest and absorb nutrients properly
Are there any risks in taking supplements?
Many supplements contain active ingredients that can have strong effects in the body. Always be aware of your body and think about introducing supplements gradually or one at a time, especially when thinking about taking multiple new products.
Before you start taking anything new, if you have any concerns or are taking medications be sure to talk to your doctor and/or nutritionist about possible side effects and interactions with any medications you take. And if you are scheduled to have any type of surgical procedure, talk with your healthcare provider about any supplements you take.
Now that you know more about supplements, perhaps you are ready to purchase some for yourself.
Here’s how to be a smart supplement shopper
- Find a trusted retailer and develop a relationship with them. They can recommend products and brands that will work for you based on your specific needs.
- Only purchase products from brands you have researched or that have been recommended by your trusted source.
- If supplement claims sound too good to be true, they probably are. Again, do your research or ask a trusted source for a personal recommendation.
- It’s important that you stay away from brands or products that claim to treat diseases or cure illnesses, since it’s not legal for manufacturers to claim this. A quality product from a trusted manufacturer will not make irresponsible claims like these.
- Keep in mind the term “natural” doesn’t always mean safe. Some all-natural botanical products, for example, like comfrey and kava, if inappropriately used can harm the liver.
No supplement can be said to cure or treat a disease, but a supplement may be able to promote better health and wellness. This is especially true when combined with a healthy diet.
Just in case you are looking for the perfect supplement for your specific situation, reach out to use here at 916-253-9276 and we would be happy to help you find exactly what you need.
We are deeply committed to sharing our knowledge of health and therefore have carefully chosen the products we offer in our store. You’ll find only the highest quality brands and a large selection to choose from so you’re sure to find exactly what you need.
If you can’t make it into the store, we’re always happy to bring it in because your health and happiness are our #1 priority!
We would love to get to know you better!
Drop a comment below and let us know more about you!